Monday, December 7, 2009

Menu Monday: The best ever creamy hot cocoa

I love hot cocoa. I really Really REALLY love hot cocoa. One thing that's unfortunate about hot cocoa are the little packets of gritty chocolate that Little Miss "Swiss Miss" tries to pass off as cocoa. I don't buy it and it tastes horrible (unless you eat it in desperation, dry; chewing it like sand just to get a chocolate fix. Not that I've ever done it...)

So, in a quest to find the perfect hot cocoa, I came across a recipe a few years back and now I won't have any other type of hot cocoa (unless it's from this little cafe in the Berkshires or Starbucks.) So, my friends, here is the secret recipe I covet a few times per month. It's simple and totally amazing!

Creamy Hot Cocoa:
  1. 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  2. 3/4 cup white sugar
  3. 1/3 cup boiling water
  4. 3 1/2 cups milk
  5. 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  6. 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
Combine the cocoa and sugar in a saucepan. Blend in the boiling water. Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir. Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes. Watch that it doesn't burn. Stir in 3-1/2 cups of milk and heat until very hot. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Divide between 4 mugs. Add the cream to the mugs of cocoa to cool it to drinking temperature.

For good measure I usually add mini-marshmellows and/or whipped cream and I have this special sugar from Harry & David that I put on anything chocolate.

** This recipe serves four and it is RICH! I have yet to ever be able to drink more than one cup in a sitting. You can put the leftovers in a sealed container and reheat in the microwave when you're ready for more**










4 comments:

Amy said...

mmmm consider this menu monday item SWIPED!

I have a sugar cookie recipe I'll post sometime next week .. Keep your eyes peeled!

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! Im so excited to try this when we get our first big storm....

Amy said...

I lied, I posted it today :)

Nicki said...

is that the recipe you gave me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...