Aaron and I both have a serious problem... with swearing. We have a major and explosive case of diarrhea of the mouth.
I'm not talking, "Oh sh*t, I burned the brownies," kind of swearing. It would be "Je*us H. Ch*ist, would you look at this sh*t, I burned the f*ckin* brownies! God d**n it." It may even be something in everyday conversation like "I am so f*ck*ing tired." or "I had a "sh*tty day."
Why do we feel the need to color our language in such a way? Aaron and I are both very educated people (I'm not implying that people who swear are uneducated) but, with the extensive vocabulary we have acquired through years of schooling, one would think we could find suitable adjectives to replace the vulgarity.
So, as part of our New Year's pact, we have agreed to stop swearing. How do we intend to do that? Our swear jar of course!
How it works:
- As you can see the offensive words are clearly labeled on the jar.
- Must pay one dime per offense.
- Offender does not have to pay in case of: 1. Injury: "Ouchy, I stubbed my toe." would just not cut it for me. 2. Rage: "Darn, that person just stole my parking space when I clearly had my blinker on" Nope, not going to work. 3. Intoxication: I won't be responsible or "fined" when I am under the influence. (yeah, I know, I am such a hypocrite... I daily tell my substance abusing clients that they need to take responsibility for their actions. We are exempt I guess) 4. Sex: Not elaborating on that one :)
It's interesting, I pick up on how much people use foul language now that I have a "swear-diet." Vulgarity is everywhere. I personally don't think less of people when they swear but I do, however, notice how it changes what they are talking about. Even on television, shows are inundated with obscenities and, as a society, we have become desensitized to it. I don't hate swearing, I am just not going to do it anymore.
Aaron and I are actually having a lot of fun with this together. It seems simple, but it has improved the way we communicate. It's not that we would swear at each other, or use obsenities constantly. It just seems now that we are making an effort to not swear, we are also paying more attention to what we are saying, how we listen, and finding ways to be more sensitive and thoughtful in our conversations.
As for our jar, shamefully, it has been enforced for 9 days and there is $7.10 in there already. I am much better about it than Aaron is. I have surrendered about $2. Usually, it is a two-for-one deal. It seems the dimes go in two at a time, usually like this: "Where in the hell ($.10) is the remote control? Shit! I just swore! ($.20)."
Happy Freakin' Wednesday, the best day of the week, Oui?
5 comments:
Sounds like you guys might be able to knock two off your list with this one! Buy a house and stop swearing :)
If we had a swear jar...oh man...
But you are right, the "colorful" language adds a different element to whatever you are talking about and that isn't, necessarily, a good thing!
yeah.......
you are good. I swear so much that i would be working to support the swear jar- even Xander uses language that's too colorful at times. We are so bad! I am proud of you
You guys are so hysterical, I love you. If I had a swear jar I would be paying a dollar a day, if not more. Oy vey!
Jessi,
Does the swear jar apply to Aaron when he's in/on the way to a bike race? If so, you might have to make him go to the bank for a withdrawal prior to the trip.
Nice try Charlie, now Aaron thinks he can swear to and from bike races. Unless it is due to injury or rage (which is quite possible) then it will cost him.
I have a sneaking suspicion that you are going to be frequenting our house often this race season. You better watch out, I may enforce it with you too ;)
Post a Comment