My sister and I were born three years apart so, once she began school, I had my mother to myself during the day. My mother, of course, still had to do chores before she worked the 3-11 shift, and keeping up with a 5-year-old wasn't conducive to getting a lot of things done in a short period of time. Being a sucker for birds (and a believer of every word my mother said) she told me that if I was patient (and quiet) and was able to throw salt on the tail feathers of a bird, then it couldn't fly away... and I could keep it!! For hours and hours of the better part of my summer, for a year or two, I would crouch outside with a salt shaker, never getting close enough to sprinkle salt on the tail. Recently, I confronted my mother about this, and this was the conversation that followed:
J: Mum, remember growing up, how much I loved birds?
M: You still do!
J: Yes, I know but, remember how you told me if I sprinkled salt on their wings I could catch one because it couldn't fly away and I could keep it?
M: No, it was their tail you had to get the salt on.
J: Yeah, whatever, remember telling me that?
M: (Laughing) Yes!
J: That was a huge lie! (laughing) You only told me that to keep me busy for hours!
M: Well, yes... but, I also figured if you were close enough throw salt on the tail, you'd be close enough to catch it!
On Sunday we explored the Audubon Center on Lake Massabesic. As if we aren't busy enough, Aaron and I filled out applications to be volunteers at the center (I'm already a volunteer for the American Red Cross, nobody can ask me where my volunteer spirit is!!!) but, it will be something fun for us to do together to give back to a cause we believe in!
It was a gorgeous day and a nice leisurely walk. We spied lots of different critters and birds but, I really enjoyed the snakes which were on display at the information center. I even watched the female feed (but I couldn't watch the male because he would only eat live rodents, whereas the female would only eat dead rodents.)
My sister and I used to pick milkweed and open the pods so we could rub the silk on our faces.
This is a Monarch caterpillar and, I'm guessing by its size, it's in the 4th larval instar. I know this because in 2nd grade I did a project on Monarch butterflies which included collecting the caterpillars and documenting their chrysalis period; setting them free as a Monarch.
A huge fresh water snail. Its shell was abandoned. Now, it's mine.
The leaves along the shore of the lake were changing... and beautiful
In the background you can see a gorgeous tree that grew into 5 different trunks. Trees are so amazing!
Oui had the very best day!!
3 comments:
what a nice place! it looks like you guys had a great time!!
I think we may take Emily there some time soon.
I love reading your stuff, I always learn something <3
Looks like you had an amazing day! Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful pictures.
Post a Comment