Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tanglewood "Oui"kend

On Friday August 20th, Aaron and I left home to travel down to the Berkshires of Massachusetts for our 3rd Annual Molloy Family Tanglewood Soiree. We arrived at our inn, The Broken Hill Manor and were greeted with Chinese cuisine, the family, the innkeepers and two other guests. Every year we stay at this very inn; this was Jim and Linda's 9th year, I think! It's really a beautiful place to stay, each room has a theme of an Opera and a gourmet breakfast every morning. This year we were in Lakme (room) and the food was amazing!

Saturday we explored and shopped at a neighboring town. I love this area (The Berkshires) because every town looks like it was painted by Norman Rockwell. We arrived early at the park (where the concert was being held) and tailgated until the gates opened. Now, the funny thing about tailgating at the Berkshires is that you won't find a grill hanging off the back of a pick-up-truck anywhere but, every person has a wine bottle opener on their person; this is classy business.

Aside from the music, Tanglewood is about accessories (in my opinion) and having the best picnic site/supplies. This year for Father's Day we bought Jim and nice sturdy radio flyer Tanglewagon, complete with name plates. He's not one to ohh and ahhh over a gift but when he rolled the wagon to the gate, packed with the Molloy family's accessories, and high-fived another wagon-wheeling-tailgater, he seemed pretty pleased with himself. Throughout the day, whenever he would see another wagon, he would always compare it to ours saying, "Psst, our is better!"





Every single year we HAVE to get the same spot. My task, immediately when the gates opened, was to dash in and grab our spot under our tree! It's tradition!


We finally figured out Tanglewood is named such because of all the twisted branches on every tree in the park. Who knew?




The concert didn't start until 8:30 PM and we arrived at the park at 3:30; I was so tired!

McPepe was sleepy too!


Matt & Nelson!

We had a great time, although I have to say, this year Mendelssohn and Beethoven put me to sleep-- literally. 3 hour drive = gas money, tickets = $29.50, sleeping under the stars with an orchestra whispering Beethoven in your ears = priceless.

I'm always sad for the weekend to be over but, we had a great time, as usual. On the way home Aaron and I stopped at the Lee Outlets to do some school shopping- so it was a nice ending to a perfect weekend.

5 comments:

McPepe said...

Jess you forgot to mention the other addition for this year. The Umbrellas.

Jessi said...

You're right, our beautful umbrellas! Maybe next year I'll get a better picture of them seeing as not everyone was on board with putting up umbrellas on an overcast day, LOL.

Amy said...

<3 I love hearing/reading about your adventures and traditions.

Thank you for sharing with me!

Stephani said...

That branch hanging straight down looks like a huge penis. hahaha

Jessi said...

Steph, you're right, it does!! LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...