Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wednesday, Oui: Check

Many of you may recall I posted a "Top Ten Tuesday" listing things I wanted to do this summer. Don't remember? Click here. Anyway, we have checked one place off our list and two that weren't on the list but, worth a visit.

On Friday of last week I worked a couple of hours from home and, having the rest of the day to kill, Aaron and I ventured off to see what the great state of New Hampshire had to offer.

First, we went to the Robert Frost Farm in Derry, New Hampshire. One word; amazing! I have had an appreciation for Frost since I can remember (seemingly because he always writes about nature.) The fact that I stepped foot into the house where he did much of his work and the home he credits as the "place he found himself" -- I felt so honored!

They had a tandem toilet in those days. Aaron thought it was a great idea.

I wasn't a fan.

I loved the kitchen. Things were so simple and uncomplicated back then.

I will, however, stick with my side-by-side front loaders.
That looks like too much work for me.


The sink, aside from the bedrooms, was my favorite feature of the house. If you look closely you can see ridges in the sides where they would sharpen their knives.

When the guide wasn't looking I peeked inside Elinor's cookbook.


Supposedly, back in the day (1905-ish), there was a 10-line-party-line in the great town of Derry. Robert endorsed that, in order to learn the dialect of we Yankees, (he was a transplant from California) he would study the language of his neighbors by eavesdropping listening to the party lines. He later stated that he became more interested in the content of the conversations rather than the language itself. (I knew I loved him for some reason- little snoop ;)

They would eat dinner by candlelight and then read to each other until it was time for bed.

Their library. Again, modest. I loved the modesty of this place.



You could walk all along the grounds which were set up with markers explaining each part of the land.

Mr. Turtle Friend on the Frost Pond. Now, I must put in a plug for our new camera. The old P.O.S would have never captured this turtle.

I'm not going to post the rest of the pictures of the bedrooms, barns and attic; not because I'm lazy but because I want you to go! It's only $4! Do it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our next venture landed us at America's Stonehenge. This place was... interesting-- to say the least. Supposedly it dates back an ancient 4000 years with carbon dating indicating the stones were put in place to serve as a calendar and sundial. The believer in me wants to jump on this ship and float away into the twilight zone. The researcher in me, however, questions the validity of this archaeological find. First off, it is supposedly a HUGE archaeological dig. BUT, it's privately owned by a random person, held in the confines of chain link fencing, and the owner of Stonehenge paints on the rocks to point out different markings. So part of me thinks, well, if this was truly a rare site, wouldn't the NH historical society or the State purchase it to preserve it and its contents? Further, would the owner so hastily paint the rocks placed so strategically by our nomad ancestors? I wonder.

Never-the-less it was interesting. I do believe there was a purpose to this place but, do I think it went down 4000 years ago? Um, negative ghost writer.

Froggie

The first of the "caves"
**Note: They had a gift shop there which sold those rock candy lollipops which I am completely addicted to. You know the ones that are pure sugar with food coloring? Yep, I bought one- Look closely.



I was fascinated by the table.

Apparently, they would sacrifice people/animals/extraterrestrial on this table. (LOL) 


Position of the November sunrise

May


Oh, and Stonehenge (the rare archaeological dig dating back 4000+ years) is also a Alpaca farm. Yes, alpacas. All through our tour Aaron and I made up stories pretending the Alpacas would become humanalpacas (similar to Animal Farm- have you read it?) and the creepy owner (whose last name was, coincidently, Stone) would lay on the sacrifical table and the alpacas would circle around threatening to expose him if he didn't feed them rock candy liberally. Okay so, that's a bit much but, we did hypothesize.



On the way home we stopped at Cracker Barrel. I'd been wanting to eat there for forever and, being the American girl I am, nothing pleases me more than chicken and gravy and mac and cheese and apple pie (not pictured)

Oui had a great day exploring. Oui'll keep you updated as we check out more on our list.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I want to go to The Robert Frost House - so very badly, Once Mike's back is a bit better, and he can sit comfortably, I'm going to talk him into it ... oooorrrr maybe put him in the car and LIE about where we're going until we get there ;)

<3

skibberty said...

Who knew that there were alpacas? You know that increases the America's Stonehenge draw for me exponentially, right??? I <3 alpacas!!!

Fun fact - there's an alpaca farm in Candia that has a guard llama for their alpacas. Apparently, llamas are aggressive toward predators like coyotes and will protect the alpacas!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...