Sunday, December 2, 2007

The Harvest- Part III

Okay, now that I am feeling almost 100% I will finish this part of my story. It has been a really long bumpy ride, but I am glad I made the choice to donate. It's funny, I bought a new book this weekend, 2001 Things to do Before You Die. On page 1, #8- "Donate some body parts." Check.

The recovery was worse than expected. I was in a lot more pain than I had anticipated. I am by no means a wimp and have had major surgery in the past, surgery that required an overnight stay in the hospital, and upon coming home I insisted on vacuuming. Not so with this surgery. Partly because I was unable to move around freely, and partly because Aaron wouldn't let me do anything.

In "The Harvest Part II", I left off at waking up from the surgery. I will begin there.

I woke up about 3.5 hours after they put me under. I remember, vaguely, being wheeled into the recovery room. I remember Aaron and my father standing over my bed, but I was so out of it that I really didn't want to see anyone, or have to talk. 12:30PM is when I begin to have specific memories of being in the hospital. I was unable to speak at first because I had been intubated. I don't know if everyone knows this, or has experienced it, but it's pretty unforgiving- it leaves you feeling as though you have a porcupine lodged in your throat.

My doctor came in and told me that I did really well during surgery and that they had taken more marrow than they had anticipated because it was "the healthiest marrow they had seen" and knew I would be able to regenerate it quickly. He also told me I had "really strong hips." I guess from a doctor those are nice compliments to receive. It makes me smile, imagine writing a personal ad. SWF seeking SM. Likes animals, kayaking, hiking, 5'2"- petite, dark hair, brown eyes, strong hips, healthy marrow, non-smoker.

My dad and Aaron kept coming by frequently to check on me, but were able to occupy themselves elsewhere so I didn't feel the need to stay awake or worry about them. I was due to go home shortly after I had awoken, but unfortunately I had to be catheterized during the surgery, so I was unable to pee for hours following the surgery, so until I could pee, they were keeping custody of me. I wanted to go home... but I also really wanted to pee. Finally around 7:30 I peed and was released to my father and Aaron, who promptly drove me home.

In the days that followed I was in an enormous amount of pain. The best way I can describe the pain is "crushing." In all actuality, your bone marrow IS your immune system; and your hips are the central support for your body. So, picture a 2-liter bottle of soda, imagine half of that filled with bone marrow. That's what I gave up- via five holes in my hips. I was uncomfortable. Laying down hurt, sitting hurt, walking hurt, and stairs hurt-- so much.

I was out of work and home for a few days. Because it was really hard for me to do anything, I had to rely on Aaron to help me do most things, including going to the bathroom. I couldn't get up from the sitting position easily nor could I sit down slowly enough. My movements were very stiff and very laborious. I returned to work (against the judgement of pretty much everyone) 4 days after my surgery, I was there for 4 hours, then drove myself home- in tears.

Eventually moving around grew easier, but I had a fatigue that would not leave me. I was so exhausted from the surgery and because they took my immune system, everything took so much energy. I would have to take breaks in between activities. For example, I would have to rest in between putting on my make-up and blow-drying my hair. Simple activities exhausted me. I also had some residual effects from the anesthesia (just feeling overall yucky, nauseous and all my limbs were restless.)

In terms of scarring, my body was pretty tattered. I was quite bruised from all the needles and I.V's, and my back was pretty bruised with some scabbing.

I won't lie, the recovery was hard. But I received cards, e-mails, phone calls, people stopped by with gifts, flowers, food, well wishes and admiration. The out pour of thoughtfulness from my friends and family was amazing. Thank you all.

Today, I feel great. I am proud of what I did. I can't wait to write The Harvest- Part IV. The Harvest Part IV will be written when I am updated on the status of my recipient, an update I hope you are all looking forward to.

Now, briefly, about my recipient. Oh, my recipient. I think of my recipient everyday. I think of her on beautiful days, I think of her when it snows, I think of her when I sit in front of my Christmas Tree, I think of her when I see the 5 scars on my back, and I think of her every time I take life for granted. My heart breaks to know how difficult this recovery must be for her. I hope she is alright. I hope my bone marrow is helping her make healthy new cells, and I take solace in the fact that I am one of the healthiest most stubborn people you probably know, so maybe my marrow won't fail her.

I will post when I hear how she is doing. I can't wait. Please, think of her fondly.


When they first let Aaron into the recovery room. Aren't I happy?



A couple hours after I woke. What a trooper! When I see these pictures, I sometimes wonder how I found the courage to do such a thing.


On the way home.

Aaron was a bit too jubilant for my taste that night, but I think he was utterly relieved that I was okay- plus he was up all night worrying, so he may have been under the influence of large amounts of caffeine at this point- not really sure.


The next morning.
That's it.
Just a bandage.
Doesn't it just make you want to put yourself on the list to save a life? Hmmmm?


5 small holes.

Badges of honor.

Bruising from the I.V.


If you have any specific questions about my recovery, or how you too can become a bone marrow/organ donor, contact me.

5 comments:

Stephani said...

Look at those sexy tats! :)

Jessi said...

Why thank you Steph- You remember that when I got the lower one? We went together and you got the addition to yours. Good times, good times. I have added three since then... I will share those with you sometime, I'm not sure everyone on this blog wants to hear about my addiction to ink.
Tattoo's are bumper stickers on life's journey :)

Stephani said...

How could I forget!! I have since added one more. You have to fill me in someday- :)
Maybe its not such a good idea for us to hang out. Lord knows what we'll do! JUST KIDDING I MISS YOU LIKE CRAZY!

Nicki said...

you know how proud I am of you, actually we both are, rich and I looked at this one together. I am so proud of you. you are amazing and truly a hero

Crazy Momma said...

I am SO proud of you, Jess! My little brother (Loren) and I both have our names on the registry. I always wondered what it would be like to get the call...

You should be incredibly proud of what you did and who you have helped! It is an amazing thing to do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...