Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Wednesday, Oui?

I have never really been a cat person.

When I was little our family cat had a litter of kittens underneath my parents bed. The last cat to come out was this FUGLY yellowish-grayish-sticky-peanut. Everyone in the family thought it was the most awful thing ever seen. I, of course, saw her potential immediately.

This cat turned out to be the most spectacular Siamese ever! I adored her and she was "my cat." She passed away several years ago and I never, ever, considered getting another cat because nothing would compare to her and, as I grew older, I developed an allergy to cats.

However, when I fell for Aaron, I inherited two pesky cats. Shredda Las Vegas and Rocko Santa Fe (I gave them their middle names.) These cats have weaseled their way into my heart and without them our family would be incomplete. Surprisingly, I don't suffer too much with my allergies. Aside from the occasional hive episode my daily medication holds me over well ;)

Today I am dedicating my post, my "Wednesday, Oui?", to our Rocko Santa Fe Molloy.

When I first met Rocko he was but a kitten. Aaron found him as a stray, just weeks old, and covered head to paw in fleas and mites. I must say, like my childhood cat, Rocko was rough looking. He had long bushy hair and his head was all greasy from his ear-mite medicine. The first time I laid eyes on him I thought, "Dear God what is that thing?" Over the next few months Rocko grew into a man. If I had to guess I would say he is a Persian/Hymilayan/Tabby mix- even the Vet is unsure. In our opinion, Rocko is quite exquisite.

He went through phases where, if he was touched, he would look at you as if to scream "RAPE" and skulk off. We also suspected that he may have an eating disorder, or Pica, because he would eat everything, even if it wasn't food, so we nicknamed him ED (for Eating Disorder.) He has many passions in life. He is obsessed with water, and computers (he likes to follow the cursor around and swat at it), and he finds shadows to be fascinating.

Recently, he has been having a HUGE problem with hairballs. Because he has such long hair the stuff he would cough up was mighty disgusting. A couple of weeks ago while I was in the shower, I saw him lurking around through the glass doors. I thought nothing of it because he often sits outside the shower door waiting for me to finish so he can have his "turn." This time, I noticed him coughing. He was actually trying to vomit up a hairball but it was too large and lodged in his throat. I whipped open the door to find him on the verge of collapse. I reached in and pulled out a long hairball too nasty to even discuss here. When Aaron got home, I informed him that we were shaving the cat (he was fine with it as the hairballs had become a problem and Rocko wouldn't eat his food if we put things in it to help his digestion- plus a friend of ours recently shaved her cat, Frankay, and he looked fabulous!)

So off to the salon Rocko went. We have an animal spa right next to our house (lucky for me because I believe in spoiling my animals- too bad for Aaron's checkbook.) I ordered the works for Rocko. He got a haircut, his nails done, a bath, and a massage. Now that he is back, it's almost like he's a new person/cat. He has confidence and he is now eager to jump up on my lap and let me pat him for hours. I firmly believe had I not been home when he was struggling with his hairball, we would have come back from work to find him dead. I think Rocko knows this and is grateful.

Interestingly, he meows now too. Between he and his sister Shredda, he was the submissive one; always taking what ever she threw at him. Since his make-over, he is vocal and more assertive. We are, however, a little concerned about his meow. It's quite high pitched, almost sing-song. It sounds feminine. Perhaps his visit to the salon made him question his gender. Should he decided he feels more like a female trapped in a male's body we support that. You hear that Rocko? Daddy and I love you, no matter what.


This picture best sums up Rocko's personality. He is curious, but suspicious.

My closet. Both cats love to hang out in here.

Obviously prior to his haircut... he loves water. Isn't that strange? He will sit in the shower for hours... literally hours.

The kitty's sleeping in Bing & Manny's bed.

Ta-da! Post haircut.

Has anyone seen Rocko? Where ever could he be?

Do you think I'm sexy?

Oui, Rocko, Oui.

3 comments:

Jessi said...

Editors Note:
So the therapist in me can't publish this without a personal disclaimer:
In no way is this post intended to make fun of or degrade those who have an eating disorder, gender-identity issues or have been a victim of rape.

Nicki said...

Oh stop it you! I know you are totally were doing all those things! JUST KIDDING! you know I live for the Oui posts! And that was a good one!

Stephani said...

I love lion cuts!!! Love them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...