Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Good reads in 2010

I love to read. I have *always* loved to read. Unfortunately, anyone who has been through college and grad school can attest that reading for pleasure happens very little when you're reading for knowledge. Since getting my masters in 2007, I've been devouring book after book. I will say I tend to prefer non-fiction over fiction but, I've developed a palate for fiction over the past year. In my professional life I have to read on a daily basis to keep up with techniques and the ever-changing field of science, psychology and education...so it's not a wonder that sometimes I just want to get lost between the pages of make-believe.

As the ball dropped and the calendar year turned to 2010, I promised myself I would read 12 books over the next 12 months; I surpassed that goal and read 17. While I don't consider 17 a great average as I'd like to read 52 in a year, I am still proud that I read as many as I did (given the little time I have to relax.) I have set my 2011 goal at 15. We shall see how that goes.

Below find a list of the 17 books I read and, of those 17, my 10 favorites.
  1. Brooke & Keith Desserich: Notes Left Behind
  2. Wally Lamb: The Hour I First Believed 
  3. Maxime Valette: F My Life 
  4. Jason F. Wright: The Wednesday Letters 
  5. Richard Paul Evans: The Christmas Box 
  6. Alyson Noel: Evermore 
  7. Elizabeth Murray: Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard
  8. Mark Haddon: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time 
  9. Kathryn Stockett: The Help 
  10. Mary Beth Crain: Widow, a Chihuahua, and Harry Truman: A Story of Love, Loss, and Love Again 
  11. Jean Kwok: Girl in Translation 
  12. Robert Goolrick: The Reliable Wife
  13. Elizabeth George-Speare: The Sign of the Beaver 
  14. Stephanie Meyer: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight Saga) 
  15. Laura Munson: This Is Not The Story You Think It Is... A Season of Unlikely Happiness- A Memoir 
  16. Elizabeth Strout: Amy & Isabelle 
  17. Alice Sebold: The Lovely Bones
My Favorites:

1. Laura Munson: This Is Not The Story You Think It Is... A Season of Unlikely Happiness- A Memoir (Non-Fiction)

I would have to say this is probably the dark horse pick for one of my favorites. I picked this book up on one of our Barnes and Noble date nights. It's non-fiction about the author's marital struggles and what she did to save her marriage. It's not a genre that I would normally lean toward, nor did I find the topic something I could relate to at this point in my life (being happily married) but, the summary sucked me in.

After being married for several years, Laura Munson was shocked when her husband told her he didn't love her anymore. Her response? "I don't buy it". I found this to be an incredible book about one woman's journey to save her marriage and (re)discover herself. As cheesy and cliche as it sounds, I learned so much from this book; about life, marriage and being a woman.

2. Stephanie Meyer: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight Saga) (Fiction)

Hello?! It's part of the Twilight Saga; I needn't say more.

3. Elizabeth George-Speare: The Sign of the Beaver (Fiction)

I pre-read this book for my Nephew because over the summer he developed an interest in the timeless theory of "Cowboys and Indians." I didn't expect this book to have such an amazing story. I'll admit, I cried at the end.

4. Jean Kwok: Girl in Translation (Fiction)

This is not a true story but while you're turning each page (rapidly) you feel as though it is. I suppose, to some extent, it's based on truth. This book follows a young Asian teen as she aspires to find the American dream while working in a sweatshop.

5. Kathryn Stockett: The Help (Fiction)

On the list this is by FAR AND WIDE my favorite book! If you choose to ready any book from this list, pick this one. The language is a little hard to adjust to given it's written from the prospective of southern black slaves during a very trying and violent time but, it's so worth the read. I loved, loved, loved this book.

6. Wally Lamb: The Hour I First Believed (Fiction but has actual facts and transcripts from Columbine)

Years ago I read one of Wally Lamb's most noted novels She's Come Undone and I loved the honesty of his writing. Fast forward to a few years later, (months ago) I ordered the above book as it was on clearance. The book sounded somewhat interesting, a fictional story, with accurate documentation of the Columbine tragedy. I loved this book. It was one of those books you didn't want to end.

7. Elizabeth Murray: Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard (Non-Fiction)

I had seen previews for this story as a Lifetime movie therefore, I had little interest in viewing it. In my book- club magazine I read the summary and decided to give it a try. I loved this book not only because it's non-fiction but also because it's a story of survival, perseverance and it accurately portrays a side of substance abuse and addiction that isn't often seen in the light it's presented in.

8. Brooke & Keith Desserich: Notes Left Behind (Non-Fiction)

This book is the diary of the last few months of a 6-year-old girl's life as told by her letters and her parent's journal entries. You'll need a box of tissues for this one. The bravery of this little girl and her family is unbelievable.

9. Mark Haddon: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Fiction)

It's a murder-mystery of sorts but written from the perspective of a 15-year-old boy diagnosed with Autism. It's funny, sad, suspenseful, and accurate. I loved this book. It was a really easy read too.

10. Jason F. Wright: The Wednesday Letters (Fiction)

I picked this book for obvious reasons (title) and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. It's the story of two hardworking, long-and happily-married inn keepers who die in each other's arms. Their death forces home their three grown children including their youngest son, who has had several brushes with the law. As events unfold the children discover their family history (and secrets) through the Wednesday letters; notes their father wrote to their mother every Wednesday.

As 2011 is in full swing, I already have several books on my list the read. Stay tuned and watch the sidebar of this blog to see what I'm currently reading.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I am shocked to admit, I have only read a single book on your list - I can't even believe it myself.
Surprisingly it was The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner .. I know!!

I am however going to read quite a few of these this year. <3

Amy said...

Okay, I've actually read two (The Lovely Bones).

Stephani said...

Water for Elephants!!!!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...