As I enter the planning stages for my sister's baby shower this summer, I have recently been thinking about one of my dear friends, Quinn. The reason Quinn comes to mind is because when I think of planning a shower for my sister, I can't imagine planning it without Quinn's help. She is "our sister from another mister." I write about her because Quinn fits into today's post so, sit tight and her part in this will slowly reveal itself.It's a widely known fact that, arguably, my favorite movie is Steel Magnolias. There is just something about the sense of family in that movie that appeals to me. If you surveyed my core group of friends, who didn't know I was a closet Steel Magnolia-er, they would probably testify that I much prefer psychological thrillers to a feel-good tear-jerker like Steel. I mean, I still refuse to watch or read The Notebook!
Regardless, I love Steel and I use many of the quotes from this movie on a daily basis so, it felt appropriate to post about a few aspects of the movie today.
First and foremost, a recipe for Menu Monday taken right from the movie:
Truvy's Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa
- 1C Sugar
- 1C Flour
- 1C Fruit Cocktail "with the juice"
Mix together and spread in a greased 8X8 pan and cook at 350 to a "warm bubbly" (approx 35 minutes)Now, a quick word about this recipe; it's a novelty. If you're looking to impress at a dinner party, don't choose this recipe- it just doesn't cut it. It's sticky sweet and cheap to boot. I really like it but you'd have to try it to be the judge. The fact that the recipe came from my favorite movie may have colored my taste buds a little but, I double dog dare you to take a taste ;) And, if you haven't seen the movie you need to crawl right back under the rock where you live.
Ever since I first saw that movie, years and years ago, I've always said, "someday, I will have an armadillo cake at my wedding," never thinking that I would actually have an armadillo cake at my wedding. In theory, my little heart wanted one so badly but, when it came down to finding someone to make it and reasons why it should be in the budget, I knew it probably wouldn't happen.
Enter Quinn. Quinn has known me for almost 25 years (scary!!) and she wouldn't let my dream die. One day, months before the wedding, I received an email from Quinn stating that not only had she found someone to make my cake, it was going to be her wedding gift to us!
I can't tell you the joy I felt when a nice (and talented) man showed up at my reception site and said, "I'm here to deliver an armadillo to Jessi." Unbelievable.
Quinn, I love you like a sister. Your friendship over the years is something I have always appreciated. You are good to the core and I adore you. Thank you for making this lifelong dream come true.
And yes, it had gray icing and a red-velvet interior. I told the caterer, "cut it up randomly, a section here and a section there, I want it to look like an autopsy." The part Aaron and I saved for our 1-year-anniversary? The ass. Eveyone loves a "good piece of ass" ;)

2 comments:
I Love You!!
Steel Magnolias is by far one of my most favorite movies, of all time!
WTG Quinn, what an amazing gift to give a friend. <3
awww i know how much that cake meant to you!! i am going to have to try that recipe sometime!
Post a Comment