Tuesday, March 18, 2008

February Vacation wrap-up, Aaron's 30th

We got back from North Conway late Wednesday night. I had work on Thursday, but Aaron had the entire week off because it was school vacation for the Manchester School District. I left him a list of chores to do, one of which was to bring the sexy cat for a hair appointment on Friday, which he did; Rocko came back a new man.

Come the weekend, it was back to celebrating. Aaron's birthday was Monday, March 3rd. His 30th birthday. I, of course, had big plans for him. We woke up early and went out for a big breakfast, then off to get a couples massage, it has become a tradition that he gets a massage on his birthday. What a great time, boy oh boy did we need it, just laying there for an hour at the mercy of a massage therapist after skiing, ice skating, and hiking just days earlier was heaven.

After an hour, we managed to peel ourselves from the soft blankets and heated table to head to Boston. The Molloy's and myself had made reservations to take Aaron to the Medieval Manor. OMG, if you haven't been there, it is a must see. Jim, Aaron's dad, called ahead of time and got Aaron's name on the King's menu. I will explain exactly what that means later.

The Medieval Manor is a dinner/show combination. When you get to the castle you are put in a "holding tank" of sorts where you buy booze and wait for your party to be called. When they call you, you're let into the courtyard of the castle and seated near the "stage." The person who is your server is also a member of the cast, and they give you a certain number of tokens. The tokens correlate with the number of people you have in your party (we had 6). Each token represents a pitcher of beer or a carafe of wine.

You get 6 courses, all of which you have to eat with your hands. YOU DO NOT GET SILVERWARE and if you ask, they will humiliate you from the stage. You have to request the King's permission to go to the bathroom, or the right is earned by a member of the audience. For example, Aaron had to do the "I'm a little teapot" dance on stage in front of everyone to earn the right for the entire restaurant to go to the bathroom.

The show is actually really amazing. The servers/actors do a great job of putting everything together while still serving you, it's a comedy, and the tap is flowing. The show is really interactive with the audience, and they keep it really small. We made our reservations almost 2 months in advance!

The best part was poor Aaron. As I said, Jim got his name on the King's menu so all night they were announcing that Aaron was turning 30. At one point Aaron had to go up on stage with another girl who was there for her bachelorette party. They were asked to put their hands behind their backs and given a long loaf of french bread to have a sword fight with. How does one have a sword fight with a loaf of bread with one's hands behind their back??? You can figure that one out. Needless to say, Aaron's long sword defeated the bride-to-be easily. He broke her ill-equipped loaf by his skillful ousting with his well endowed bread. The King called him "the poster child for Viagra" I got the whole thing on tape, but it is way too long to post here.

Matt & Nelson (it isn't too hard to figure out which one is Aaron's brother!)

Linda Molloy

Jim Molloy



Aaron, getting his "teapot" on.

Aaron, at Matt & Nelson's, half-in-the-bag.

We had an amazing time, and drank way too much. Later, after the show, we went back to Matt & Nelson's to drink more and have some cake. I provided the cake, Aaron wanted this gourmet $30 dollar cake from a french pastry shop, so we had that (I am usually pretty stingy, but for Aaron's 30th, I spared no expense.) Matt & Nelson put penis candles on the cake and it was hilarious. I have attached a video of Aaron "blowing" out the candles. Nelson's dad makes wine, has a small vineyard, and large wine cellar (what a shame ;) Later, we went to the cellar and Linda, Jim and myself had some moonshine. Yikes... one sip of that and I was two sheets to the wind!


On Monday, Aaron's actual birthday, I made him a nice meal and more cake for us! Whew, I better stop eating like this! Between Aaron's birthday and our mini-vacation, it was a week to remember!

I packed Aaron's lunch for school.

Poor Aaron had to go to work on his 30th.

I worked a short day on Monday to be sure I was home before him to prepare everything!

4 comments:

Moonshado said...

Oh my that dinner and a show sounds fantastic..... I have got to do that sometime.

Crazy Momma said...

I have always wanted to go to Medieval Manor - now all the more reason to!

Sounds like a great wrap up to a great vacation!

Stephani said...

I must say that the last cake documented looks much "yummier" than the expensive one.

Jessi said...

Steph, you are so sweet. I heart you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...