Friday, February 22, 2008

Books to read in February

February is black history month.
Below are the 5 best books to celebrate and educate.

Warriors Don't Cry By: Melba Patillo-Beals
This book is about the children who integrated Central High School in Little Rock Arkansas in the 1950's. The author was one of the "Little Rock 9." I have read this book several times, and each time I learn something new. I love the strength of the children in this book.

The Bluest Eye By: Toni Morrison.
This book is a biography of sorts. The life of Pecola Breedlove is the focal point, outlining her struggles as an African American child who is in contact with other white children. She is a survivor of incest, abuse and discrimination. She wants nothing more than to have blue eyes.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings By: Maya Angelou
This is my favorite book of all time. I met Maya Angelou year ago and was lucky enough to hear her speak. Maya is a survivor of rape, abuse and discrimination. She had an unplanned teen pregnancy and this book chronicles some of that struggle. Maya has spoken at Presidential Inaugurations, is a prolific writer and poet, humanitarian, spit-fire, hero, and friend of Oprah...

Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word By: Randall Kennedy
This book is an intense read. It discusses the root of this word, how it originated and includes quotes by famous people, song lyrics sensationalizing the word, and other surprising shocking facts about this hateful word. For instance in Mark Twain's novel, Huckleberry Fin, the word "nigger" is used 215 times! This used to be a children's book!

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier By: Isamael Beah
I did not read this book, however, Aaron did. Aaron is an advocate for civil rights (aren't we all) but is particularly fascinated with poverty, refugees, and the arming of children in wars. He loved/hated this book- it was profound and heart-wrenching. It is intense and written by a boy soldier from Sierra Leone.

4 comments:

Moonshado said...

Good list of books I might have to read one of them, A book I submit to you for consideration is .. Manchild in the Promised Land it is an autobiographical novel written by Claude Brown. It tells about the author's coming of age amidst poverty and violence in Harlem during the 1940s and 1950s and has frequently appeared on banned book lists. Here is a great overview www.racematters.org/manchildinthepromisedland.htm I have read it twice and I think it would make for a really eye opening read.

Crazy Momma said...

Thanks for the list, Jessi! I will be adding a few to my list of books to read. I have never read Why the Caged Bird Sings - but know that I should.

I remember reading Huck Finn in HS and becoming increasingly uncomfortable every time I read the "N" word...but I want to know why it is used. I think that will be a great book.

I read the Bluest Eye a million years ago and I don't remember a lot about it. Maybe it is time to reread it.

Thanks again!

Crazy Momma said...

Oh, and thanks Wally for the recommendation as well.

You got me...this time...

Nicki said...

wow you guys I can't even imagining reading one of those books WAYYYY too heavy for me lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...