Monday, October 26, 2015

On Dress Codes

If I had one complaint about Toby's Montessori school it would be this:

Dress Code.

Dressing Toby has always been a part time job for me. Or, as Aaron teases, he needs a part time job because of it. At Toby's school he can only wear khaki or blue pants with yellow, blue, or white tops. No logos, patterns or characters.

THAT'S IT!

I die. Every day a little piece of me dies.

So it's shallow, I know, but, I really like to dress my kid. More accurately, I LOVE to dress my kid. Dress code was a really hard pill for me to swallow, and something I gently challenged the director of school about.

Why? If Montessori is all about individuation, why couldn't I obsessively dress him why was he not able to express himself through fashion? Mostly, her answer made sense about distractions in the classroom, equality, and environments conducive to learning. Okay, okay, I see a point. Although, the defiant part of me did want to argue about conformity, individuality, yadda-yadda-yadda. However, I accepted most of her argument.

Except this part:

"Dress code is easier." She said.

"It gives you less choice in the morning." She said.

"It's cheaper. You only need a couple shirts of each color." She said.

Does this woman not know me at all?







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...