Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween 2013

Growing up, Halloween was a big deal in my house. My mother ALWAYS made us our costumes because she was really (really, really) fun and creative.

In first grade my mother asked me what I wanted to be for Halloween and I said a seahorse. Mom didn't try to talk me out of it; she made me a seahorse costume. I wish I could dig up a picture because I remember going to school feeling like the prettiest purple sequined seahorse. I had such a sense of pride when I told people my mother made the costume. Looking back, especially now that I'm a Mom, I really appreciate the thought (and painstaking hours) she put into making our costumes. She did this for me AND my sister. Every single year.

When Toby was born I knew I would make his costumes for as long as I could (or until he wanted to be something I couldn't "make.") For right now, obviously, Aaron and I decide what he's going to be so it's easier to make the costumes. But, Aaron and I have also decided that we're going to dress up with him; it's more fun that way.
 
This year, in honor of one of Toby's favorite soundtracks, we were Mary Poppins and Burt the chimney sweeps. Everything was either borrowed, made, or already owned (except for my top hat and skirt [I bought those at Goodwill.])

 






 
Last night we went trick-or-treating. While we only went to a few houses we got a lot of compliments on the originality of our costumes and Toby made off with a pretty good loot.
 








 








Uncle Matt & Uncle Nelly were in Europe for Toby's first "real" Halloween, but they still sent him a Halloween card with some moolah for his piggy bank. Thank you Uncles!!

Toby has his own little mailbox. We leave him treats in it a couple times per week. If he gets any "mail" it also goes in the mailbox. He loves to check it and gets SO excited when there is something in it!

 






He tried, and eventually succeeded, in pocketing the money. I told him it had to go in his piggy bank!
 


Toby also received a card from his Nana and McPepe when he trick-or-treated at their house. They taped $10 in quarters to his card. He is going to have a field-day dropping all those quarters in his piggy bank! (He loves to put money in his bank! I love that he's a saver!! Just like Mama [most of the time.])
 
And finally, just before bed, in honor of it being a "holiday" we decided to let Toby watch a short Halloween movie. It was 11 minutes long (Angelina Ballerina: Henry's Halloween.) Toby lasted about 3 minutes before he lost interest. I guess the kid is like his parents when it comes to TV. We let him off the bed and he ran directly across the hall into his nursery and got a book off his shelf.

As you can see, he's thoroughly unimpressed. Oh, well. We'll try again at Christmas with The Grinch!
(Notice his big candy belly?)

And for a little blast from the past; Circa 2012.
Do you gnome these people?






We hope you had an AMAZING Halloween!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I absolutely love your costumes. love love love them

While I'm not creative enough to MAKE a costume, I do try to go all out with accessories.

This year Emily was "Hermoine Granger" - complete with plaid skirt, collared white shirt, robe (with Gryffendor seal), light up wand, broom, crimped frizzy hair, boots, tie and scarf. (and for a little while, Maxi, was dressed as Crookshanks.) That counts, Right?

Stephani said...

I love the pictures, and the flash back was adorable as well.
Seriously though, the BBQ chips excited me more then the candy. Probably because I have eaten my weight in chocolate these past few days.
Glad you had fun. We had a blast this year!

McPep said...

Toby looks like a rough and tough backstreet kid in the 20's from South Boston. He looks like he would kick anyone's a$$ if they crossed him. But first he has to eat his stash. No wonder he wasn't feeling on Friday.
WHAT A Haul.
You all looked good. Nice job with the costumes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...