Toby learning to walk was a really big deal for Aaron and me. It's when a "baby" really starts to grow up and gain independence; no longer really relying on Mama and Daddy as their mode of transportation.
Aaron and I wanted to get Toby something amazing as a gift to him when he learned to walk. It's not really a, "hey, you can walk now" gift but, more of a, "congratulations on being mobile and hitting one of the biggest developmental milestones of your life." Because, what do we do for the rest of our life that is as monumental as being upright?
When I was pregnant with Toby we really threw around the idea of having a muralist come in for his nursery. I went back and forth because I had a hard time committing to something so permanent on his wall. What if he didn't like his "theme?" Further, we knew this house isn't our forever house so realistically, in a couple of years we'll move and then what? Leave this beautiful wall for the new owner to paint over? Not happening.
A while back I went to our local Mom's group/store/place where I take Toby to music and sign language classes. We were attending an afternoon music class and when I got there I noticed the business recently had a muralist come in to paint a mural on one of the doors. I loved it. So, of course, I asked who did it and it just so happened the muralist was in the very class we were in. Obviously I approached her and pretty much wanted to hire her on the spot.
At this point Toby wasn't exactly mobile but I knew it was coming any day so, we arranged a time for her to come to our house, take some pictures of his nursery, do some sketches, and start the mural. I wanted her to incorporate some of his favorite things; which obviously are giraffes, airplanes, and monkeys. It was very important to me that it was also the same "style" as his current décor. I'm really glad I waited for him to show interested in things before I got the mural because I would have never put airplanes or monkeys on it. We also decided to do it on his door so that when we leave, we can just replace the door and take his with us.
Aaron went to pick up the door last night. (We had her do the mural at her house so we just took the door off the hinges and gave it to her.) We took a video of him seeing the door for the first time. Mind you, I didn't see it until he did.
I am so happy with the mural. I think Joycelin captured exactly what we wanted.
This morning when I went to get him out of his crib he was standing up staring at his mural, pointing at the door. It was precious.
*Mural Credited to Jocyelin Raho, local artist. Check out her blog, linked here. She is amazing.


3 comments:
it is incredibly perfect. Just perfect <3
blogger hates me .. so if this shows up multiple times, I apologize
It's Perfect, Just Perfect <3
What a fantastic idea!!!
Post a Comment