I manage all the finances in our relationship. Not because I'm smarter than Aaron but, because, well... I'm a bit more diligent. Aaron is notorious for handing me a ton of receipts weeks after buying gas, lunch, socks, and whatever else he needed at that point in time (he never spends unwisely, though).
I have a system down that has worked out very well for us and our way of life. Basically, in a nutshell, (because I don't want to bore you with the nuts and bolts of our finances and, frankly, it's none of your business) we have two checking accounts and one savings account.
- In one checking account we both deposit a certain amount from EVERY paycheck... this is our "House" account. This account can/should only be used for house expenses (a run to home depot, the hot water heater unexpectedly dying, a mortgage payment, etc.) simply because we don't like to worry about "what would happen if...?"
- Then we have a certain amount from every paycheck deposited into a savings account, which isn't to be touched unless there is an emergency or we are in desperate need of a get-away!
- Then there is Regular or "Reg" to which the remainder of our paychecks are deposited. This account is for everything; dining out, bills, clothes, everyday purchases, gas, groceries etc.
Incidentally, we used to refer to these accounts as "Reg" and "House." You see, we have two identical debit cards for each of the checking accounts so, if we aren't careful, it would be easy to use the wrong one for the wrong purpose (theoretically, that is). To decrease the possibility of confusion, we've written "house" on one of the cards.
Well, one day Aaron texted me because he wanted to make a large purchase. He didn't need my permission but he wasn't sure which account to use so he said, "House or Peg?" It took me a minute to figure out what he meant but then it occurred to me that because he still texts the old fashioned way (not using his keyboard) he accidentally wrote "Peg" instead of "Reg"
This has become a joke in our relationship now. Often, when we go out to eat and it's time to belly up and pay the bill, he'll say "On Peggy?" Other times he'll text me, "I just got $50 in gas on Peggy". And every now and then he'll ask, "I need this new tool, how's Peggy lookin'?" and I'll say, "She's fat this week" or "this week she's on a diet."
I don't know why I find this so amusing but, I do. Weird, huh?
This is kind of what I imagine Peggy to look like... except I think she wears glasses and her voice sounds exactly like Marge Simpson.

4 comments:
Mmmmm... chocolate.
Okay one night you are telling us how great a husband he is (he is my son, you expect anything less). Then you are telling us he has a mistress (PEGGY) who is fat and has money. Are you going to tell us that Dickie is the real father of my future grandchild (Can't be because DICKIE IS DEAD). An AFLAC duck conversation if I may say myself.
Luv you guys
McPep
Hello this is PEGGY how can IO help you? You want to speak to a supervisor. Just think of it. It is worth it.
Hahaha, I know... it's hilarious!! I'm glad we're not the only ones who laugh about it... I was beginning to think we were crazy!
Post a Comment