After our brief stay in San Francisco we landed in Anchorage (and retrieved our luggage, which arrived the day before we did). We immediately headed off to book ourselves a hotel; we had been traveling for about two days, hadn't really changed our clothes, and we were struggling with the four-hour time difference. If you remember correctly we hadn't booked ourselves a hotel in Anchorage because we feared we would miss our connector flight (which we did). Our tour didn't officially start until July 2nd, so we had yet another day to kill until we were whisked away on the pre-paid portion of our vacation. We found the least expensive hotel we could book (after of course, I consulted the bed-bug registry). This hotel was quite comical and had very interesting... character.
Let me just say that I wouldn't recommend the hotel if you're looking for luxury. We were looking for something cheap, as we planned to go immediately to sleep, and we were due to check into our 5-star hotel in downtown Anchorage early the next morning when our tour officially started. This hotel was the kind of place where you'd expect to get a knock on the door by "C.S.I." Okay, so I'm exaggerating, it wasn't that bad but, we don't often stay in hotels (we opt for B&B's or rent small houses) so this place was a bit dodgy (and the bed folded out of the wall!)
I have to admit; one of the strangest things about Alaska was the position it is on the earth. Because of its location, the month of June/July gets about 21 hours of daylight. The other 3 hours are twilight. It NEVER gets dark. Ever. You can literally read a book outside 24-hours per day. So, on top of being a New England native AND the 4 hour time change, it was really weird trying to sleep in broad day light at midnight!! That took some getting used to.
We had a lot of fun exploring Anchorage, Alaska's biggest city (boasting a smaller population than many of the bigger New Hampshire towns.) One thing that really struck me was the size/quality of the flowers/greenery; I can't even begin to explain how beautiful the foliage is there. Due to the amount of glacial ice melting, creating a significant amount glacial silt in the soil (read: really high levels of nitrogen [the main ingredient in Miracle Grow]) plus add almost 24 hours of sunlight/photosynthesis, the flowers and greenery are giant sized. It really was something to see. On one of our tours the guide said, "we just grow our flowers really big here because we want to make tourists feel badly." The average size of a cabbage is about 20 lbs. (!!)
One of the highlights (for me) in Anchorage was Humpy's. Now, the food was amazing but, the main reason I wanted to go there was because it was yet another stop on the trail of Adam Richman (Man Vs Food [my boyfriend xo])!






4 comments:
This is where I squeal with delight, and jealousy.
HUMPYS!? OH Adam Richmond <3<3
Yeah, remember back in the 80's when everyone used the word "hump" to mean sex? Coincidence that it's what I want to do to Adam Richman and that's what one of the restruants is called. LOL! (Aaron if you're reading this, I only have eyes for you... and Man Vs Food host)
Aaron may not be reading this but McPepe is. WTF. Love ya.
I know! I woke up with a start this morning and though... "Crap! My McPepe reads the blog..." and contemplated deleting the comment. Then, I remember the phone conversation we had in which I ended up dry heaving, LOL and figured- we're even.
Love you more ;)
Post a Comment