Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Failbook

I love Facebook just as much as the next guy. Honestly, what other outlet on the world-wide-web allows you to anonymously creep on people you know (or don't know)? While I don't spend as much time on the social networking site as much of America does, I am creeping around frequently enough to get annoyed by many aspects of Facebook (some of which are the reasons I've been spending even less time on FB.)

10 things that force me to prematurely log off a visit to Facebook:

1. Shocking pictures that are so revealing you have to look away-- coupled by status updates that are so depressing you get up from your computer and wonder why... just why?

2. People who appear confused that "status update" translates to: update your status every second.

3. "Acquaintance friending"-- you briefly meet someone at a function and log on later to find they have friended you.

4. Farmville, Mafia wars, or any other game I have blocked from my profile.

5. Boring status updates that leave you wondering, "Why would you want to broadcast your life if that's all you have to say? I really don't care what you're having for dinner."

6. (To some of my dearest friends, please forgive me) Children as profile pictures. Now, if you're in the picture too, you and I are okay. Otherwise, whenever I encounter your profile, I always say in my head "that's not ____ that's his/her kid".

7. "Repost this in your status" stati. No thank you. Not going to do it.

8. Passive aggressive digs: I will admit it's one of the most painful ways to make a point but it's still immature. I've resisted (and I have a sharp tongue.) Everyone always misinterprets it and internalizes/personalizes it anyway- just fess up and deal with your beef, people.

9. Status games that the rest of the world isn't aware of (posting one word in your status that is intended to bring attention to a specific cause.) If you want to do something for a cause write a check or advocate for the cause. Really, explain to me how posting the color of your bra is going to raise awareness of breast cancer? You post the color and then what? Remember breast cancer exists? Or do you post the color and then run right to your check book and write a big fat check to fund researching a cure?

10. Facebook's sneaky ways of disclosing information about you to the rest of the world which forces you to check and recheck your privacy settings several times per week just to "make sure".

Now, these annoyances alone aren't enough to force me to close my fb account, as the spying outweighs the annoyance. I also understand that my blog's direct stream to facebook probably annoys the crap out of some of my friends... so, consider us even. I'm just sayin'. :)

3 comments:

Amy said...

In my defense .. My kid is much cuter than I am.

<3 I miss you

Amy said...

Funny you have this post up BTW ... I just got a spam message in my inbox, and upon opening my inbox, I immediately started spamming people. Awesome.
Love you Facebook!!!

Stephani said...

If I had a FB, this shit would piss me off too!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...