Sunday, January 11, 2009

Did I wake you?

You know that expression, the much overused expression, LOL; as in Laugh Out Loud? It's one of those expressions that, in my opinion, is a total lie. Often I will read something online, an email or a joke, and I'll reply LOL even if it only made me smile. So in a sense, I'm a liar. While I was amused, I never actually made a noise; thus I didn't laugh, and it certainly wasn't out loud.

Since the New Year Aaron and I have been on a seek and destroy mission of organization. Recently we have accepted the fact that we are in this apartment for another year... which isn't a bad thing, we've just realized that we won't be able to save enough for both the wedding AND a new house (the wedding, by the way, is in less than 9 months!!) So, if we're stuck here, we're going to make it even more livable than it already is.

Over vacation we spent hours, literally hours, cleaning, rearranging and organizing. There was one particular day that we spent 10 hours (doesn't that equal 20 hours if we are both participating?) cleaning together. Now, we are both very clean people, but this was the kind of day where you pay so much attention to detail that your entire collection of CD's end up alphabetized.

Among some of the house projects that have been on our list to do was to build some shelves in my closets (I say "my" because, well, I consider everything closet related to be mine) I wanted extra space for things and being really handy with wood and tools Aaron offered to make them. I would have just googled California Closets if it were up to me, but Aaron built them in no time, and boy did he do a good job!

Since we have gone back to work, we are still spending free time puttering around the house. Aaron received some power-tools for Christmas and I am reaping the benefits. I've discovered that a boy and his tools take many orders. All has been well and good, until this morning.

I've been particularly tired lately, mostly because I'm worried about a family member and find it difficult to go to bed and quiet the thoughts in my head. Last night was no exception. This morning, bright and early, I feel Aaron slither out of bed, kiss me and say, "Baby, you stay in bed, I'm going to work quietly on a few things, make you're coffee, and get going for the day."

"Cool," I thought as I sprawl out taking the entire bed.

Within a half of an hour I am snapped back to consciousness when I hear what sounds like a hyena dying. I jump out of bed (conveniently, I was fully clothed because I had already been up at about 6:00am to walk the dogs in a blizzard) put on my glasses, and run across the hall to find what poor animal is dying.

This is what I find:



Aaron has taken out all his clothes and shoes out of his closet and is cutting wood in my den (IN my den) and building shelves for his closet, before 8:00 am. I am standing in the door way of my beautiful den looking at clothes strewn about the room and saw dust on the floor. There wasn't a poor animal dying in the room across the hall from where I was soundly sleeping, but my husband-to-be hacking up pieces of wood with a trusty old hand saw.

He looks up at me and innocently asks, "Did I wake you?"

So does "work quietly" also translate loosely like LOL?

1 comment:

Stephani said...

At least the picture of you guys is still standing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...