Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Do you remember where you were...

Usually I wait until the end of the night to post something, as Aaron and I talk about our day and the things we are grateful for. I knew the minute I woke up this morning what I have to be thankful for.

As a kid I remember hearing the adults I was exposed to ask, "Do you remember where were you when Kennedy was shot?" or "Where were you on D-day?" I specifically recall thinking "Thank God I will never have anything like that to remember." Last night Aaron said to me over dinner, "Where were you 6 years ago tomorrow?"

I remember exactly where I was. I was on my way to school at Husson University. I was on the interstate and listening to the radio. The first plane had hit the Trade Tower, and I thought "how does that happen?" I assumed it was a small private plane that miscalculated and crashed. I had been to the Trade Towers a couple years earlier and found it amazing that someone would "miss" them in the NYC skyline and accidentally crash. Then came the news; there was a second impact, and they weren't planes they were jets full of people, and it was no accident.

The rest of that day was blur. I remember being glued to the T.V. holding out hope- even weeks later- that someone would be pulled, alive, from the rubble. I recall the outpouring of patriotism, which has since disappeared, and I remember feeling more fragile and vulnerable than at any point in my

I was profoundly affected by the events that happened 6 years ago today. I am thankful for my life, my privilege, my safety, and my freedom to pursue happiness. I thank the men and women who gave their life for our country. I am devastated that I have "September 11th to remember" and I will never forget where I was 6 years ago today.

My question: Do you remember where you were 6 years ago today, and what are you thankful for? Please post in the comments below.

3 comments:

Nicki said...

I remember EXACTLY where I was. I was sitting in Path Lab in Dover getting my blood drawn when the first plane, hit, I went to the car and drove to UNH and between Dover and UNH the second plane hit the WTC and the Pentagon. I remember it feeling surreal and thinking in the weeks that followed that I was thankful that I didn't have a child at that point that I had to explain it all to.

Now I am thankful for the life that I have and the people that I have in my life, the people who are safe and sound whereever they are right now, Thank God.

Jessi said...

Thank you for sharing your experience. Today, much of the world is in disagreement about the way things were handled "Post-911." However, one thing most all of us have in common is how profoundly affected we were by the events that happened that day.

Crazy Momma said...

I was lying on my couch with a sick baby. We were watching PBS (one of the only stations NOT airing a special report) so I had no idea what had happened.

Kirby called and told me to turn on the news...it was devastating! I remember feeling so hopeless...for weeks after, all I could do was watch the news until I started having nightmares so badly I had to stop.

I am thankful to live where we live, in an area that is so unlikely to be attacked. It may sound trivial, but that was one of my first thoughts that day.

I am thankful that my children are safe and happy and have two parents that love and care for them.

I am thankful that my children were not witnesses to that horrifying event.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...